International Quilt Study Center & Museum
The International Quilt Study Center was established in June 1997 when native Nebraskan's Ardis and Robert James donated nearly 1,000 quilts to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. The museum has the world's largest publicly held quilt collection, dating from the early 1700s to present and representing more than 50 countries.
UNANIMOUS partnered with the International Quilt Study Center & Museum to design and develop a sophisticated and intuitive website showcasing their extensive, global quilt collection. The updated design and enhanced features provide an improved experience for website visitors seeking information on quilts, programs, activities, events, exhibitions, reports, quilt study donors, and sponsors.
Website Design Objectives
- Showcase quilt collection, events, and exhibitions
- Create a user-friendly tool to allow visitors to search for quilts based on various filters
- Ensure ADA compliance across the entire site
- Create a website that is intuitive and easy for the International Quilt Study Center & Museum staff to update, manage, and maintain
- A modern website design that provides visitors with a wealth of information regarding quilt collections, events, exhibitions, and more
- Dynamic searchable quilt collection allowing visitors to search by title, origin, pattern, technique, and other criteria
- ADA compliant website that is accessible to all people with disabilities
- The website was built using the Drupal CMS which is intuitive to manage, easy to update, and created many workflow efficiencies
Exhibitions are an important part of the International Quilt Study Center & Museum mission to celebrate the artistic significance of the quilts. UNANIMOUS designed a platform to showcase current, past, upcoming, and traveling exhibitions.
Each exhibition section displays the dates, title, description, and curator information. The exhibition feature is customizable and allows unique sections to be added such as quilt previews, history of the collection and information on the origin, technique, and fabrics.
“Creating a new website can be daunting. However, we found in Unanimous what we were looking for; a collaborative process that was on time and within budget. Because they listened, we have an artistic, engaging website that is more reflective of who we are.”
- Leslie C. Levy, JD, Ardis & Robert James Executive Director